2.03.2014

When Work Shifts: Recognizing Our Selves Again


I've been in the studio all day for a photo shoot that started at 8am and lasted until 6pm. It was a very long day that, regardless of the hours, felt like a marathon. It reminds me of the special events work I managed many moons ago when I worked in fundraising for nonprofit organizations in New York City. Those days were truly work marathons. We prepared for weeks ahead of the event and then endure 15 or 16 hours in one day to make it all happen. Then we collapsed into a tired office heap.

Today I wore pink corduroys, a denim shirt, and sipped green tea all day long. Back then we wore black dresses, black heels, and sipped champagne with our guests. But the elegance was temporary--immediately after the event we kicked our heels into the corners of some strange storage room before taking all the decorations back down and schlepping all the materials to the elevators, out delivery ramps, and into rented moving vans. The next day in the office we wore tattered jeans, drank too much coffee, and magically made all the decorations cram back into their tiny cupboards before reviewing infinite spreadsheets. Then reluctantly we'd start all over again.


This makes me think about the fluidity in our work, in our studios, in our homes. How one transition often feels like it is taking our lives in a very new direction but once we have transitioned into this new direction we find familiar scenarios from previous jobs, homes, cities, colleagues, or friendships. We find our own familiarities. The players change but not the positions. The uniform shifts. The colors change. The black dress is swapped out for a denim shirt. The job description alters or ebbs or changes considerably but our character does not. The detail-oriented find the details and the big-picture thinkers find the big picture and the very organized refine the organization and so it goes.


I take comfort in this sameness. I take comfort in moving from one side of the country to the other and finding familiar feelings, familiar stories, familiar ways of interacting with new (but seemingly familiar) people. I take comfort in finding all my previous lives very useful to this present life too. I still use the skills I learned in special events to organize a photography shoot and I have the same mix of exhaustion and relief when the day is done. I use the organizational skills required in various art offices to plan my week, outline my meetings, and coordinate efforts with colleagues and collaborators. My desk looks very different now but many of the functions are actually the same.


I like to think that we are the same at our core. That my core is the very same now as it was when I was 7 or 17 or 27. I like to think that my situation has changed, my environment has shifted, my work has shifted too but the core of my character and, likely, the core of my weaknesses and strengths have been weathered by my experiences but they have not really been altered. My job description changes but maybe, in some ways, not actually my work.

This is not to say that people cannot change. They can change. They do change. We must change to evolve and grow and stay engaged with our living. But I am beginning to think that the evolution is more about getting honest with our selves, about recognizing our selves, about knowing our selves than anything else. That growing into myself is actually the work of my age--not growing into somebody else.


And in these moments when I've had a very long day and I feel like I haven't felt this kind of exhaustion since I was running special events in Manhattan over a decade ago--I like knowing that I've actually been right here before. That I've been here since. That I'll be here one day again and it will feel simultaneously familiar and totally new. I like seeing myself in the nuances and finding myself tucked into the ups and downs of what a long day demands. I like knowing it's the same me in that black dress and black heels or in these corduroy pants and denim shirt--substitute the champagne for a pot of green tea.

I like recognizing the details of the work as the same details in previous positions--just the setting and the goals have changed. I like thinking of this continuum and how I'll recognize so many sides of myself over the next several decades of my career. I like knowing that it's the same me--just a different desk, a different drink, and a different pair of shoes.

xoxo,
k

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. We are our own core. We change, but we really don't. I think so much about this, I love that you wrote about it. I have been a business owner for exactly one year tomorrow. I ALWAYS look back at the wake of my path and see where I learned what I did. I see the decisions and people and circumstances that essentially let me ride the wave to where I am now.

    This resonates also looking at my children and their little quirks and nuances that make them who they are. Some of those things are my make up too. Some are my husbands. And some just remind me who I am now and who I was as a big eyed child that would believe anything I was told. (We share the "youngest kid" honor, so I know you know what I mean)

    I love to reflect on the patchwork of my path, even unraveling it to when I was born, what "Heaven Luck" I had, which made me all that I am as well. It's amazing also to know someone so well (our husbands and best friends, respectively) to know their patchwork and make up, and what made them who they are and what circles they visit and revisit to allow them to be who they are. I just can't tell you what a wonderful post this is. It has been on my mind all year, and it's an incredible joy to look back and see all the blood, sweat and tears that makes us all who we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw, so glad this post resonated with you. it's true. we are the same at our core but our circumstances shift. and maybe one part of our personality takes center stage while another waits in the wings. and it is such a gift to have people in our lives for decades--to see how they expand and shift. xoxo

      Delete
  2. me again! Another thought (and more with what you are expessing)...As I read this I picture "present me" as a translucent being stepping backward and fitting exactly the mold that I am in 10, 20 even 30 years ago. History is prologue, and yes the "groundhog day" effect is ever present. I am proud to say that I have maintained the same brokerage firms and clients for almost 14 years. They must see the same person, or maybe one better. I have grown, moved and expanded, but ultimately I am the same, In the same spaces, towns and with the same tools as before. I feel the same things as before, yet there is a difference. The same people re-enter and exit, and then again. I have learned, matured and grown, but still the same person, with the same eyes and same passion. It's funny this way, revisiting yourself and getting re-familiarized with what trail has already been blazed. This experience that I have collected, I am sure to re-use. I'll (obviously) be thinking about this all week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, yes. i think it's most obvious when we've had the same work colleagues or clients for many years. we see them grow and see our own growth reflected. it always surprises me that even the random events of a job can later be so important in another. oh, the journey! xo

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, friends. I like to think we are creating a dialogue in this space--building a virtual community.